Sales Associate I
Sales Associates deliver exceptional customer service as the frontline interface between Retail Operations (ExploraStore, Endeavour Store, Satellite Stores, IMAX Concession Stand and Mobile Retail Carts) and our guests. To perform the essential job functions of this position, Sales Associates must be friendly, outgoing and upbeat while they greet, wait on, serve and handle guest purchase transactions. They provide insightful knowledge about the products and services offered within all Retail Operations areas. Sales Associates also assist with the receiving, processing and pricing of product shipments, as well as the preparation, stocking, arranging and displaying of merchandise and food product. Sales Associates are also responsible for the daily clean up and maintenance of the Retail Operations areas.
- Have a friendly and proactive personality with good interpersonal communication and customer service skills.
- Strong proficiency in basic math (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division).
- Honest, energetic, hardworking, reliable, detail-oriented with good basic problem solving skills.
- Possess strong organizational skills with an ability to relate to persons of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to perform the following physical activities with or without reasonable accommodations: ability to lift and carry boxes weighing up to 40 pounds and to climb ladders as needed.
- Ability to walk and/or stand for an 8 hour shift.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, holidays and some evenings as required.
- Ability to adhere to workplace schedule; by maintaining an exceptional attendance and punctuality record.
- To remain an active employee for the California Science Center Foundation, you must be available to work three (3) full days per week, including holidays and weekends (Saturday & Sunday)
- Be a good team player, exhibit a positive attitude and help inform and motivate fellow staff members
As members of the Retail Operations team, every Sales Associate I is expected to be proficient and available to work in all areas managed by the Retail Operations Department. Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Proactively and politely greet, wait on and provide friendly service to ensure the delivery of a high quality positive memorable experience to all California Science Center guests.
- Accurately and proficiently use a Point Of Sales (POS) cash register to handle guest purchase transactions, accurately handle cash and provide change.
- Handle guest relations concerns in a professional, polite, courteous and constructive manner.
- Be a good team player and perform all duties in a safe, accurate, effective and professional manner within the guidelines established by department’s management team.
- Patrol and monitor guest traffic flow on all departmental sales floors in order to provide excellent service, prevent pilferage and ensure a safe and pleasant shopping environment for everyone.
- Study and learn about the products and services offered within the Retail Operations department in order to provide knowledgeable information to our guests.
- Assist with the receiving, unpacking, packing, processing, preparation and pricing of retail merchandise as well as the proper preparation and sanitary handling of resale food products and shipments.
- Maintain merchandise displays while stocking-out product from the stockroom to the sales floor fixtures
- Properly follow all health code requirements when preparing food in the concession stand.
- Assist the management/supervisory team with the organization, operation, stock replenishment and maintenance of all sales floors.
- Assist and participate in the organization, maintenance and cleaning of departmental warehouse areas including the ExploraStore, Endeavour and IMAX Concession Stand stockrooms.
- Clean and maintain departmental common areas that includes, but is not limited to: (a) picking up fallen products and debris from the sales areas and stockrooms, (b) clean and dust merchandise, fixtures and equipment, (c) clean glass shelving and windows, (d) vacuum and spot clean carpet, (e) sweep and mop floors, (f) properly wash and sterilize food handling utensils and equipment according to departmental and Health Code Standards, (g) etc.
- Consistently arrive on time for their shift on the days they’re scheduled to work to ensure adequate operations and customer service.
- Possess excellent verbal communication skills (including good telephone and radio etiquette) to convey pertinent information to our guest, management staff and fellow team members to ensure information is transmitted and received clearly and accurately.
- Responsible to follow all opening, closing, safety and security procedures for assigned areas.
- Actively participate in departmental meetings to improve guest service by providing feedback, making recommendations, participating in meetings and discussions, etc.
- Properly wash and sterilize food handling utensils and equipment according to departmental and health code standards.
- Frequently sanitize and disinfect common surfaces (for example, phones, radios, keyboards, pin pads, countertops, computer mouse, call-bells, screen monitors, Plexiglas shields and other surfaces).
- Perform other duties and tasks as required.
Sales Associate I’s are responsible to perform all of their duties in a safe, accurate, effective and professional manner within the guidelines established by the Supervisory and Management Team.
Don't meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. The California Science Center Foundation is dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.