ABOUT THE JOB
Hosts provide outstanding customer service to our guests, ensuring each one has a fun, memorable experience. If you join us, you will warmly greet guests with a smile, proactively offer assistance, and provide information about the exhibit. You will also help provide a safe environment for our guests, collections and property by circulating through exhibits, helping guests to queue for admission, as well as help respond to any emergencies.
We welcome your application if you:
- Like talking with people and helping to make their day!
- Truly enjoy customer service and value the mission of the California Science Center.
- Are motivated to learn more about science and to share that with guests.
- Enjoy problem solving to ensure guests have memorable experiences.
- Like working both independently and as part of a team.
- Are reliable! We need you here promptly when you are scheduled.
- Are flexible! You will need to work an 8-hour shift between 9 AM and 9 PM a minimum of 3 days per week for the duration of term of your employment.
- Possess excellent communication skills.
- Possess 1+ years of customer/guest service experience.
- Possess background in science, education, theater or related field.
- Possess experience in teaching or working with the public in an informal education/public setting.
- Possess verbal bilingual skills in both English and one of the following: Korean, Japanese, Chinese or American Sign Language.
- Possess “open availability” to work any 8-hour shift, Monday - Sunday 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.; possessing the ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends (Saturday & Sundays), holidays and evenings.
- Enhance the guest experience by initiating museum related, educational or helpful interactions.
- Engage in public speaking to large groups of guests.
- Memorize and recite short scripts and / or introductions to guests.
- Communicate Discovery Room guidelines when greeting guests.
- Monitor and maintain Discovery Room environment (number of guests in the room/age of guests).
- Prepare supplies and interactives to support Discovery Room programs.
- Encourage hands-on exploration and science learning in the Discovery Rooms and all assigned galleries.
- Verbally communicate with guests using a friendly and helpful tone and demeanor.
- Use non-verbal communication skills such as positive body language (smiling, eye contact, good posture) to greet all guests and to encourage interactions.
- Share information about guest-interested areas verbally or through hands-on demonstrations.
- Willingly escort guests around the exhibit including upstairs, downstairs and elevators.
- Promote the California Science Center’s educational programming, donation-based admission, IMAX Theater, Attractions and Membership offerings.
- Explain interactive exhibits to all audiences using appropriate equipment.
- Maintain a clean work area and report maintenance or cleanliness issues to management.
- Observe and report potential hazards and injury to guests and staff.
- Practice safe working habits; follow standard operating procedures for all work areas.
- Follow emergency procedures as necessary; respond to alarms according to established guidelines and assist with evacuating staff and guests; bring crisis situations to the attention of GS Leadership immediately.
- Provide proper use and safekeeping of California Science Center assets including radios, keys, clipboards and other equipment.
- Practice open communication by keeping Management Team informed of internal and external issues affecting the California Science Center.
- Perform other duties as required.
Don't meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. The California Science Center Foundation is dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.