The Campaign Writer is part of a team that advances the California Science Center Foundation’s EndeavourLA Campaign in support of the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center major expansion project. The ideal candidate is a prolific writer who can create accurate and engaging fundraising materials with ease and adapt copy to fit various contexts and audiences. Strong organizational skills and a keen ability to balance multiple tasks and deadlines are also required.
The Campaign Writer is responsible for writing compelling grant proposals, solicitation materials, reports, letters and other communications; tracking grant deliverables and reporting requirements; identifying, researching and profiling prospective donors; and contributing to administrative and information management activities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience preferred.
- 1-2 years experience in fundraising and/or communications; experience with nonprofit storytelling and grant writing desired.
- Strong persuasive writing and excellent editing skills; must be able to produce relevant writing samples upon request.
- Ability to synthesize information from various sources and adapt the tone, style and voice of copy to fit a range of contexts.
- Strong research and analytical skills with ability to find and evaluate funding opportunities.
- Ability to interpret budgets and financial reports and to convey information in narrative form as well as numerically.
- Highly motivated self-starter with excellent follow-through and ability to prioritize tasks to balance assigned responsibilities.
- Strong organizational skills with keen attention to detail and ability to deliver high-quality work within tight time constraints.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team to produce results in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with ability to interact effectively and diplomatically with donors, volunteers and staff across departments.
- Ability to maintain high standards for information management including tracking gift requirements, financial data, and interdepartmental and external communications.
- Proficiency in Internet research tools; knowledge of prospect research resources and best practices, for both individual donors and grant-making organizations.
- Proficiency or ability to become quickly proficient in Microsoft Office suite and OneDrive applications, Zoom or other videoconferencing platforms, donor databases or constituent relationship management systems; experience with Tessitura a plus.
- Must show discretion in handling sensitive issues and confidential information.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule that may include evenings and weekends (Saturday and Sunday) on occasion
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Writing and Research
- Create and update Campaign informational materials and write a range of correspondence, including personalized acknowledgment letters, project updates, invitations and other communications.
- Prepare letters of inquiry, proposals, and narrative and financial reports; this includes liaising with various departments and project staff to ensure the information provided is accurate and up-to-date.
- Research prospective donors and prepare profiles and briefings for staff and volunteers, reporting findings in both written form and in person.
- Write Campaign and project content for Science Center e-newsletters, website and social media.
- Develop and maintain a ‘story bank’ of donor profiles and constituent impact stories for various applications.
- Monitor news and current events to analyze trends and opportunities in philanthropy, identify new prospective donors, and provide relevant updates on existing donors and constituents.
- Maintain a grant docket and other systems to track proposal and reporting schedules, keeping project staff apprised of information needs, milestones and deadlines.
- Contribute to the maintenance of digital and non-digital files for Campaign donor/prospect information and materials.
- Contribute to tracking and coding Campaign contacts and actions in the donor database to assist with targeted communications and moves management.
- Assist with cultivation, solicitation and stewardship meetings, visits/tours and events as needed.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of systems and procedures for the effective operation of the Campaign.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
$26.45 - $28.85 / Hr
Don't meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. The California Science Center Foundation is dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.