Vice President, Marketing and Communications
At the California Science Center we aspire to stimulate curiosity and inspire science learning in everyone by creating fun, memorable experiences. This mission is guided by our core values of science as an indispensable tool for understanding our world, accessibility and inclusiveness, and enriching people’s lives. A world-class educational resources and family destination located in Los Angeles in historic Exposition Park. The California Science Center integrates a dynamic museum with free general admission to hands-on exhibit galleries, educational programming for students and families, professional development for educators, and a neighborhood elementary school – to improve public understanding of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
The Vice President of Marketing and Communications will guide the California Science Center Foundation’s marketing and communication strategies during a time of unprecedented change and growth as the Science Center advances the third major phase of its three-phase, three-decade Master Plan with the addition of the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center.
The VP of Marketing and Communications will be instrumental in building and refining the organization’s marketing and communications capabilities, including: 1) helping to shape goals and strategy as a member of the executive management team; 2) leading strategic marketing and communications initiatives targeting the organization’s diverse audiences to advance the organization’s goals; 3) providing support to the President in accomplishing organizational strategies and execution of plans; 4) providing strategic engagement with the President and the Communications and Marketing Committee of the Board of Trustees; 5) assisting with promoting and providing an organized, strategic effort towards bringing awareness to the Science Center’s institutional goals; 6) serving as a public spokesperson for the organization; and 7) being a key contributor to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusiveness initiatives within the Science Center.
The VP of Marketing and Communications will lead a team of Marketing and Communications staff members and manage external consultants and integrated marketing/communications agencies, building and shaping shape a highly effective, best-in-class Marketing capability by hiring, training, motivating, and setting leadership direction for all Marketing and Communications staff. This role encompasses developing, implementing, and evaluating long-term and short-term initiatives focused on connecting key external and internal audiences with the Science Center in ways that support the institution’s ability to achieve its goals and reinforce/enhance the Science Center’s reputation, credibility, and revenue to support its mission and vision.
The VP of Marketing and Communications and team will also monitor and analyze current marketing and communications practices, systems and performance metrics, project future needs, and initiate best practices to meet those needs, while monitoring and evaluating news trends in the museum/science center field. Further, the team will originate, plan, direct, implement, and evaluate all aspects of the Science Center's Marketing and Communications Plan including policies, objectives and initiatives designed to achieve the goals of the Science Center's Strategic Plan. With the dual objective of promotion and reputation management, the Marketing and Communications Department has responsibility for: public relations, media relations, launches of exhibits, IMAX Theater movies and capital project launches, as well as cultural tourism. The team is also responsible for directing and producing promotional videos and other video and audio productions to highlight Science Center campaigns, events, exhibits and programs. Additionally, the VP of Marketing and Communications provides executive leadership for crisis communications planning and implementation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field of study preferred; Master’s Degree is a plus.
- 10+ years of developing strategic marketing and communications programs.
- Experience working in a science center, museum or related attraction.
- Advanced knowledge of current and emerging marketing trends, strategies, technologies, marketing and communications for fundraising campaign efforts.
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate across the organization, serving as a resource to others, inclusive and respectful of others’ expertise and perspectives.
- Demonstrated experience in conceiving, implementing, and evaluating strategic programs to achieve established goals.
- Advanced managerial and leadership skills with a history of building, motivating, and managing high-performance teams towards the accomplishment of established goals.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication and political acumen to communicate and collaborate with a variety of professionals and public officials.
- Advanced market research, analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Broad experience in strategic communications including communications planning; digital, social, and print media; media and public relations; perception management; and crisis management.
- Proven record of establishing effective relationships with media representatives, marketing partners, corporate and foundation sponsors, donors, and special interest groups.
- Strong organizational skills, an ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Superb written and oral communication skills.
- Plan and direct all marketing and communications efforts for the Science Center’s educational exhibits, programs, IMAX movies, fundraising campaigns, and stakeholder events.
- Oversee and coordinate media queries and identify opportunities for media coverage and interviews with key staff and executives.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with media and media advisors. Supervise outreach to media contacts, the preparation and timely release of press materials, photography, etc., for all Science Center activities. Plan media events/press conferences.
- Create monthly reports and communications to the Board of Trustees and regular communications to staff, volunteers, and external stakeholders for the President. Prepare other internal correspondence as required.
- Work with Marketing and Communications teams to develop cohesive marketing/PR campaign strategy and ensure that the right message is being distributed across all channels.
- Unify marketing and communications messaging across all platforms to maximize marketing/PR campaign awareness and preserve the Science Center brand.
- Strengthen the use of digital communication strategies and other new media efforts to maximize engagement.
- Develop, maintain, and execute effective crisis and communication management plan and strategies, including anticipation/planning, establishing appropriate response teams, consulting with risk management, compliance, and legal spokespeople, establishing notification and response systems, crafting messages for all critical stakeholders, and evaluating response effectiveness post-crisis.
- Strengthen internal engagement across the Science Center working with senior management to align strategic priorities with timely and transparent communication.
- Develop and integrate an effective content strategy for marketing and communications across traditional and digital channels.
- Coordinate marketing/PR efforts in support of periodic capital campaigns in close consultation with the Chief Advancement Officer.
- Develop timelines and budgets for ongoing, departmental activities, as well as each project.
- Support innovation and adoption of new technologies in order to encourage team collaboration and communication.
- Manage all Marketing and Communications staff and consultants, including the Director of Marketing and Director of Communications as direct reports.
$120K - $130K per year
Don't meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. The California Science Center Foundation is dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.